- Earn up to 15 credits towards your high school diploma
- Include your work experience on your resume
- Use your work experience mark for Alexander Rutherford Scholarship to boost your average for your Grade 10 and Grade 11 marks and as a fifth entrance course for many university and college programs (check with your teacher counselor for specifics). For example, to apply for the Registered Nursing program, you need English 30-1, Chem. 30, Bio. 30, Math 30-2 and a fifth course. That can be the very good mark you can earn through work experience and it counts just as much as your core courses.
- Graduate with more than 100 credits to give yourself a buffer.
- Use work experience to find out if your potential career is the one you really want to follow. Even if you first go to post-secondary after the work experience, many employers will remember you once you begin looking for full time jobs in your field.
WHERE AND WHEN
- Part time job placements (fast food, restaurants, retail, trades etc!)
- Volunteer (hospitals, care homes, animal shelters, food banks etc.)
- During school hours, after school, weekends, and holidays. You may not earn work experience credit for work between 10 p.m and 7 a.m.
- Complete the required HCS 3000, 1 credit course in CALM or see your school's work experience practitioner-see contact information below.
- Return to the practitioner when the course is completed and she will give you an off campus agreement form to fill in. Return this to her when it is filled in. Your hours will count when you return the form either in-person or by email. You need to submit monthly hours in person to the practitioner or email or text a picture of them to her. We encourage the emailing and texting in order to reduce paperwork. She can also provide you a timesheet if you need one.
- You need to work or volunteer a minimum of 75 hours; this will give you 3 credits. If you work at more than one place we can combine the hours.
- Andrew Krul, the off campus education coordinator, will complete an evaluation with your employer. See the practitioner so you can see that important feedback.
SCHOOL PRACTITIONER INFORMATION
Jacquie Lowe (Student Support): firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-715-1079
Jacquie will be in Room 209 each Wednesday from 8 .m.-3:30 p.m.
You can drop off completed contracts and pay stubs to the main office in the off campus education mailbox.
Darin Gibson (Registered Apprenticeship Practitioner): email@example.com or 403-315-9022
Darin will be in Room 209 each Wednesday from 8:30-10 a.m.